Information for Fertility Professionals...
A survey in 2002 estimated 9,000 of the 400,000 embryos that were then in cryopreservation in the U.S. were available for donation to another couple. Many or most of the remaining embryos will likely not be transferred into the genetic mother, and so will eventually die. The National Embryo Donation Center (NEDC) is a nonprofit organization whose goal is to give life to these tiny embryos, and to give an infertile couple a new name: parents.
The NEDC matches unused embryos from in vitro fertilization procedures with infertile couples across the country. A nonprofit organization in Knoxville, Tennessee, the NEDC handles the medical, legal and social requirements of embryo donation and placement at no cost to the patient's fertility clinic. The Center offers a variety of placement options for couples considering donation of their cryopreserved embryos, and also provides counseling for both donors and recipients.
The NEDC works with an experienced adoption agency to ensure appropriate screening and to assist with the placement process.
Why send your donated embryos to the NEDC?
- NEDC is a life-honoring organization. Donated embryos are treated with respect and care, with the goal that each viable embryo will be transferred. Your patients can donate their embryos with confidence.
- It is more convenient for you. The embryo donation and adoption process can be complex and time-consuming unless you work with a group that has experience in this area. Most IVF staff are overworked and don't have the time or experience to do placements.
- Most embryo donation / adoption clinics have too few donated embryos and too small of a demand to provide a quality, full-service program.
- The demand for embryo adoption is nationwide. We serve as a centralized "clearinghouse" for both the donating and receiving couples.
- NEDC offers both anonymous and open placements of embryos.
- NEDC decreases your storage problems and expenses by reducing your inventory of embryos. By utilizing our consent forms, you will no longer need to worry about abandoned embryos that are in your care.
- This will help other infertile or childless couples! Your life is devoted to helping couples realize the dream of becoming parents. Now you have the opportunity to assist couples around the country with their hopes and dreams of becoming parents.
Benefits of embryo adoption for the donating couple:
- It relieves couples of the psychological burden of having frozen embryos that they don't know what to do with.
- It provides them the satisfaction of helping others.
- There is assurance that the adopting couple has been well-screened for their ability to become successful parents.
- If requested, the couple may receive reimbursement for some or all of their cryopreservation and storage fees.
How do I refer patients or transfer embryos?
Simply call us at 1-866-585-8549 and ask to speak to our nurse coordinator. We will supply the necessary consent forms to the patients as well as arrange for infectious disease rescreening if necessary. At your request, we will also supply your office with the necessary consent forms to release you from liability for loss or damage during shipping. NEDC will pay for shipping fees using your delivery service or our own.
The NEDC is a nonprofit organization. The director, Dr. Jeffrey Keenan, is a member of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, SART, ACOG, and endorsed by the Christian Medical and Dental Association (CMDA).
Please visit our Common Questions page for further information on embryo donation and adoption.